If you open up a Google search window you’ll see two boxes beneath the subject field, “Google Search” and “I’m Feeling Lucky.” Let’s see what happens when we tell them how lucky I feel. Ooh, look! It’s like spinning the giant wheel of fortune!
Spin 1: “I’m Feeling Artistic”
Moonrise over the Sea by Caspar David Friedrich, 1822
At first I was like um, okay, so there’s art on here. Like art, art. I guess this falls under the cool internet resources in the arts category.
Spin 2: “I’m Feeling Generous”
Google One Today.
Apparently Google developed a philanthropic app. It uses photos and summaries to show how just $1 can make an impact in the world. An app that promotes generosity? Hmm.
Spin 3: “I’m Feeling Hungry”
Okay, I’m not linking this one because I’m a little wigged out it just pulled up a list of restaurants near my home. Love you, mean it, but I think we’ll skip that level of looping you into my life.
Spin 4: “I’m Feeling Curious”
“What’s in disposable diapers – and are they safe for your baby?”
a) Don’t wanna know, b) never wanna know, and c) my kids made it through just fine, thanks.
Spin 5: “I’m Feeling Adventurous”
A whole page full of breathing exercises for stress management and relaxation.
Spin 6: “I’m Feeling Playful”
I won’t lie, I was a little nervous hitting spin on this one because the internet but it linked me to a strange little animation of the Google search screen. It’s not exactly my idea of playful but whatevs.
Spin 7: “I’m Feeling Curious”
“How much is 20 pounds of quarters worth?”
Well, damn, I do want to know how much 20 pounds of quarters is worth. Thanks, Google.
Say, wasn’t that fun. Wonder what else we can find trolling around out there…
Top 5 Google searches today:
- Michael Cohen [That makes sense. You can’t lie to Congress, dude.]
- The Possession of Hannah Grace [huh?]
- 2.0 [a movie, apparently]
- Hugh Jackman [admit it, you’re wondering what he’s been up to]
- Luka Doncic [yeah, google that one]
Top 5 auto-fill searches for “How to…”:
- how to make slime
- how to tie a tie
- how to get rid of gnats [really? it’s that big of a problem?]
- how to screenshot
- how to draw [call me picky but that seems a bit broad]
Top 5 results for “Trump”:
- his freaking Twitter feed
- his campaign website [yes, really]
- The New York Times’ opinion piece “Trump is Compromised by Russia”
- a CNBC link to a Trump interview about automaker jobs in Ohio [except it doesn’t link]
- “The smoke around Donald Trump and Russia is choking his presidency” by Chris Cillizza at CNN.com
Top 5 results for “top five”:
- top five football teams
- top five codes for an emergency room
- top five codes for a family practice
- top five pokemon [seriously??]
- top five gaming
Come on, you knew Knickers had to make an appearance.
Go forth and Google on, people. There are good times to be had with your search engine!