1. So you know how we figured things would turn around? That it was only a matter of time before the weekend hits a reset button?
2. What’s that saying about making plans while God laughs?
3. Yep. It’s like that.
4. As I write this I’m sitting here with a big fat icepack on my knee. Why?
5. Because I’m me, that’s why.
6. I was leaving an appointment in a hurry yesterday morning.
7. Elsa was moving through our area — sing it with me, Let it go! Let it go! — and the sky had opened in a torrential downpour.
8. The rain was hard and cold and entirely unpleasant as I hustled to my car. The guy next to me was getting ready to pull out of his parking place so I picked up the pace.
9. Some might say that’s where I went wrong. It’s probably more like this is just the way life goes.
10. I yanked the door open, being careful not to ram it into that guy’s passenger door, and threw myself toward a space where cold raindrops wouldn’t plop down the back of my shirt.
11. That’s about the time I slammed my knee into my car. What part, you ask? I have no idea, I was too busy tamping down the blinding pain so I could pull it together and close the door.
12. There’s really no pain like the slammed-against-a-car kneecap pain. It’s a doozy.
13. That wasn’t the worst of it, though. I would’ve come out of that with a sore knee and a bad bruise, nothing pleasant but nothing new. The worst of it came about an hour later.
14. I was walking down the steps into the garage when I felt a pop and my knee gave out beneath me.
15. I managed to stagger down and get the cat food for lunches. Then I whimpered a bit going over the baby gates to feed them.
16. It wasn’t until I’d sat on the floor and couldn’t get back up that I realized there was a more serious problem.
17. There was swelling and pain and a delightful moment when I realized bending my leg at a ninety degree angle so I could, y’know, pee was an issue.
18. There went any plans for the rest of the day. There was ice and elevation and rest. The end.
19. Heard enough about my knee yet? Trust me when I say you don’t want me rolling into a rant.
20. Like about how a judge ordered law enforcement to release the full body cam footage from the March to the Polls event on 10/31/20 only to have them say “nope” and simply Not Comply.
21. All together: Why didn’t they just comply?
22. Now an Alamance county judge has ruled they can lock up the tapes while police appeal the decision. I call bullshit.
23. The video below was released by subpoena to people who were arrested at the march and charged with crimes. The News & Observer independently obtained and reviewed it. Take a look.
24. If this video doesn’t make your blood boil then I just don’t know what to say.
25. This has been such a twisty week I’ve barely cooked let alone tried out any new recipes. If you’ve got any good suggestions drop them in the comments.
26. Let’s focus on the easy peasy ones, okay?
27. What else then…nope, I’m still not going to the gym.
28. Do I feel bad about this? Yeah, kinda. I mean I know I should want to be healthy. I just can’t seem to make myself want to be healthy.
29. Seems like a catch-22 to me.
30. So I’m focused on making good food choices. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not knocking that one out of the park either, but I’ve gotta start somewhere.
31. If you’ve got any tips for motivation to get back in shape drop those in the comments, too.
32. I’m trying to grant myself some pandemic grace but still, I need all the help I can get.
33. They’re holding a Release the Tapes protest in Graham tomorrow. We’re talking about going but a lot’s gonna depend on if I can walk.
34. Fingers crossed.
35. Knees too.
36. Another fun fact? It’s hard to put on shoes when it hurts to bend your knee.
37. Pants too.
38. It’s after midnight and I’ve got to hobble off to bed. We’re heading to the DMV tomorrow so kiddo #2 can test for her learner’s permit.
39. Hopefully it goes smoothly. Hopefully (also) that my knee doesn’t blow up overnight.
40. Happy Friday, everyone.